Ugh! Utah running is kicking my ass! I can't keep blaming it on the elevation. Shouldn't I be adjusted to it by now? I swear, every run I've done so far since arriving in the Beehive State has been...how should I put this? LIKE DEATH! I've done two five milers, two six milers, and one 3-miler. I know, I know. You can congratulate me later on my fantastic running mileage.
So I finally got around to running with Whitney from It's What Moves Me and we originally planned to run 4 miles around Daybreak Lake, but it ended up only being 3 miles. She's 16 weeks pregnant and is literally kicking my ass. I blame it on the "hilly" run. Every tiny little incline I kept saying to Whitney, "This is so hilly!" Even though the "hills" were minuscule, and I'm sure Whitney was probably thinking, "What?! Hilly?! This is FLAT, girl!" HAHAHA. Not to me, Whitney. Not to me. What has Florida done to me?
Also during this run I've come to the conclusion that I am NOT READY for the Wasatch Back. Holy shit, people. My month of lackluster running has taken its toll. It's amazing how fast you lose your endurance when you don't work on it consistently. And while that isn't a new concept, every time it happens to me I'm always amazed that it has happened. Shouldn't it be, "once a distance runner, always a distance runner?" As of right now, I have four weeks to get my body to remember what it's like to be that distance runner again. Which means only healthy food and more miles. More miles, people! And no more eating crap.
On the job front, job searching in Utah is remarkably easier than job searching in Florida. It's amazing, really. I applied for jobs for months in Florida before I even got a call for an interview. I've been in Utah for just 2 weeks, have applied for a fraction of the jobs I applied for in FL, and currently have 2 interviews scheduled for next week. Thank you, Utah economy!
LOL, I hate hills. So I know what you mean about noticing little ones.
ReplyDeleteI think you'll be ready for the relay. I'm just coming back from a hip/IT band injury and everything felt pretty foreign to my body for the first week or two of my "comeback." The only thing that kept me from getting entirely frustrated was the joy that it no longer hurt to run.
So the first two weeks of my comeback sucked, and the past two weeks have been surprise after surprise of what my body is remembering how to do. I have faith you'll be ready as long as you stick to your training schedule.
You crack me up! I was stuggling more than I let you know - it's all of the talking that we were doing while we were running. I NEVER talk and run! But I'm so glad that it was only 3 miles... I would have died. :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for next week! It's fun to have someone to push you to do better - I was thinking the whole time "I can't let up! Christy will think I'm a weiner!"
Go Whitney and Christy! Sounds like a great run.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I don't want to lose my endurance so even if I don't have a race coming up I would want to keep running long so I don't lose it.
Hey I am running Wasatch Back! What runner are you? Dont sweat the elevation change you will recover soon!
ReplyDeleteGood luck in those job interviews!
ReplyDeleteYeah, give your body time to make more blood. Then you'll be good as new!
ReplyDeletenice work on the interviews! good luck
Good luck with those interviews!
ReplyDelete