Saturday, June 5, 2010

I just can't keep my mouth shut anymore! :)

Work has been busy, which has in turn been keeping me away from blogging. Do any of you ever feel so time-crunched that you can’t get to the things that you really want to? Especially blogging? It makes me sad. I miss reading blogs and most definitely miss writing on my blog. But, I can’t do much complaining because work has been fantastic. It’s busy, and hectic, and a bit stressful at times, but it’s definitely been cool to see how these races are put together.

I won’t leave you hanging any longer. If I happen to not get the job permanently, I’ll still feel okay about the company, and still run in their races, and such. And just in case that happens, my ego may be slightly damaged, but I know you’ll still support me in whatever happens. Plus, it’s just so awesome and I can’t help myself...I HAVE to tell you where I work!

This company is obviously based out of Utah, and if any of you have even remotely heard of this company or heard me talking about them in previous posts, you’ve probably already put 2 and 2 together and made a pretty good guess. I mean, I literally talk about them all time and rave about how much I love their races. Still haven’t guessed yet? ...Jeopardy music playing in background... If I were Alex Trebek I’d make you answer in the form of a question. Okay, okay! I’ll tell you. It starts with an “R” and rhymes with Bagnar. (sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity...um, I mean cleverness)

That’s right, folks! I now work the Ragnar Relay Series!!! squealing with joy right now…literally In case you’ve never heard of them, they’re the company that hosts the Wasatch Back relay, the one I’m currently training for. They also did the Florida Ragnar Relay which I ran, and so did Morgan and a whole list of other FL bloggers. And they did the Las Vegas Ragnar, which LB ran. They’ve also got lots of other relays located across the country: SoCal, Washington D.C., Washington state, Minnesota/Wisconsin (along the Mississippi River), New York, New England, Florida Keys, Tennessee, Boston…..and coming to you in 2011, the relay race that I’ll be directing…CHICAGO! (squealing for joy again!!!)

I’m actually in a plane right now on my way to Chicago with another race director. Ever heard of the MC200? In a nutshell, that race is now (I mean, in 2011) part of the Ragnar Relay Series. I’m flying out there because the MC200 is happening this coming weekend, and I’m going to help out on the course, learn everything that I possibly can from the current race director, and then once the MC200 is over, it'll be will be turned over to me to transform it into one spectacular Ragnar Relay! I know y’all want to come to Chicago in 2011, right?! Right?

I’ve only been working there for a week and already I’ve been as busy as ever. I never fully understood what it takes to make a race happen, especially an overnight 200 mile relay. Holy geez! These race directors work HARD. But they love it. They’re passionate about running, and they’re passionate about the participants. I can see why the company makes “must be a runner” a qualification on the job description. Because if they weren’t passionate about running there would be no race. I’m pretty sure this goes for all races, from 5Ks to marathons, too.

Don’t worry that in the entire job search hullabaloo I haven’t forgotten to run. Last week I ran a total of 21 miles (which, if you’ve been reading my blog you’ll know that 21 miles is quite an accomplishment). Granted, 12 of those miles were done at one time, but miles are miles, right? All joking aside, that 12-mile run was brutal, but also really amazing. For a while there I was having doubts that my body would even remember how to run double-digit miles. I didn’t pick an easy course, either. Most of it was uphill (loving the mountains for this very reason...good training), and not just easy uphills either. I’m talking 5-7% grades at certain points. If I remember correctly, MapMyRun even showed an 8% grade. Yikes. I finished it in about 2:08, and was pretty proud of it.

I haven’t been running since then, but I started a new job and then I immediately decided to get a really nasty cold. Awesome. I’m finally feeling better (how is that for a first week on the job?!), and I plan on a little 3 mile run tonight in Chicago. Fantastic.

Well, that’s all for now. Wasatch Back in two weeks!

19 comments:

  1. You rock girl - A job to love. I was just telling my crew my ideal job would be related to running because it is my passion.
    Enjoy the moment, and we want details so we can daydream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Congratulations! I would love to work with Must Be A Runner was one of the qualifications! Sounds like a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy eff!!! That is AWESOME!!!! You rock!!! I thought it might be some small independent relay race thing, but you got a jog with RAGNAR?!?!?! How awesome is that?? And we were just talking about Vegas yesterday and really getting on it. Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! Congrats! What a cool place to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That job is perfect for you!! Matt has been training for the Ragnar and I've been feeling a bit jealous. It's gotten me back in the mood to run. I'm thinking a half marathon or 10 K in a few months. Do you know of any?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO jealous of your job and I freaking LOVE Chicago. So, I'm pretty sure that the hubby and I will be trying to do this race next year (depending on when it is, and baby stuff). Sounds like the perfect job for you and I hope it goes AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME!! That is soo cool! I am shooting for the saints and sinners medal this year!!! SO cool! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really enjoyed following your progression as a runner through this blog...because...GEEZ you are hardcore now!

    I'm so happy for you (knocking on wood as I'm typing this) that you'll get to live out your running passion through your career. Sounds like you have some HUGELY positive changes going on in your life. WooHoo 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and eat a slice of Giordano's for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be participating in the relay this weekend... and now that I'm following your blog don't think I won't hesitate to drop your name as a "long time friend" if I find myself or my team in some kind of situation that would result in disqualification... :)

    Seriously though... that's awesome... this'll be my first relay but I've heard so many good things... I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SOOOOOO awesome. I'm jealous. I'm getting a bit blah about my current job and this would be some sort of dream job. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! It seems that you are one of the hot shot bloggers around here. Haha! I'm new to this joint (and the running world all together) and trying to get on board with a few choice blogs.

    So, question: Is this job in Utah? It looks like you're from there... is it nice? I'm only asking bc there may be a job opportunity there for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! This sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the killer job! Do you need an assistant to help minimize the environmental impact of the races? (got to use my degree somehow!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! I ran w/ Morgan today and she told me about you getting the job - awesome! I ran it this year and live in Chicago so if you want any feedback let me know! Morgan's already got me expecting awesome things for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How freaking awesome!!! I just did the NY Ragnar and I had the time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does this mean you can do the DC Ragnar with us? :) You have an in now right? Or are you going to be the boss and can't run it! Awesome for you!

    ReplyDelete