Sunday, July 8, 2012

Running in a Tutu Never Gets Old

My roommate Laura and I awoke early Wednesday morning to start our Fourth of July celebrations with a bang. By running a 5K, of course. So at 6:30 a.m., I was up getting ready. As a spur of the moment thing, we decided to don our best looking red, white, and blue tutus for the race (I made them the night before). 


We left Arlington at about 7:45 and drove to the start of the race in Fairfax. When we arrived, it was about 85 degrees and overcast, which actually felt pretty good. The race wasn't supposed to start until 9 a.m., so I was a little worried that the clouds would burn off and we'd be graced with hotter temps, a beating sun, and the awful VA humidity that I've come to loathe. And I was right. At about 8:40 the clouds disappeared and the temps climbed. 



To say this race was not a PR was an understatement. I wanted to DIE. It's a 5K, and I literally wanted to die. Laura was awesome and stuck with me the entire way, even though she's a faster runner. I kept telling her to run ahead and she kept saying, "It's not about racing...it's about the tutus. And we are staying together." hahahaha. Thanks Laura! 

We finished in 30:31. Sad face. I think it's been a couple of years since I've run a 5K in over 30 minutes. But the conditions here  were just dreadful. I'm not meant for humid running. It was 95 degrees, with 80% humidity. I either need to continue to train and run in this heat, so that my body gets used to it, or just suck it up and run on the treadmill. Oh well. At least everyone loved our tutus!! 



After the race, we ventured over to Wegman's to purchase snacks for our 4th of July adventures. Mainly candy, booze, and chips and dip. We spent some time back at our apartment, then headed over to the Mall to snag a spot to watch the fireworks. Overall, it was a pretty fun day.




5 comments:

  1. Brutal weather for any kind of race. I'm guessing lots of folks didn't even bother showing up.

    I miss the fireworks on the mall. Grew up in NoVA, and went many, many times. Candy, booze, chips, dip ... I like your snack list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a great day to run in a tu-tu! Love it! Don't sweat the less then stellar race, it was hot as ballz on the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do keep up the hot weather running, just think of how FAST you will be in the fall.
    That's what I keep telling myself - and it's only 80ยบ (in the mornings) with no humidity here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tutus! I was in DC a month ago and just soaked in the humidity on my morning runs. I think you ran a great time for how crazy hot it was!

    ReplyDelete