Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A word about that 20-miler

Let me just open this post with a lengthy excuse as to why I haven't updated yet. Or better yet, how 'bout I skip the excuse and just post? That works for me. Really though, sorry for not posting when I said I would. Life.

Alrighty, so my 20-miler...I have mixed feelings about my 20-miler. I was originally supposed to run it in Celebration, FL, while I was on a mini vaycay with the husband, but it didn't happen. We went to Disney World the day before I had the run scheduled and let me just tell you, not the best of ideas. I figured I'd just be walking around all day, and walking isn't running, so therefore it would've just been a regular pre-long-run day. Wrong. And let's be real, I did more standing in line than walking, and standing on those two feet of mine all. day. long. left me with some serious arch pain in my feet. I woke up the next morning to get ready to go run, and I knew my feet couldn't hack 20 miles. Ten, maybe 13 tops. Not 20. So, rather than risk getting injured, I postponed my 20-miler until Tuesday after work. It makes me sound like a pansy, but I swear to you, my feet HURT. My feet don't even hurt that bad after my long runs.

So anyway, back to my 20-miler. I made sure to eat balanced meals on Tuesday to prepare myself for the run. Normally I would never schedule a long run after work, but I needed to get it done. No more procrastinating. So as soon as I got home from work I ate some pasta and veggies, let it digest for two hours, and then went on my way. It took me around 3:42-ish. That's sort of what I was expecting, but I didn't end up finishing until after midnight.

So how do I feel about the run? It was hard. In previous runs I've always felt like I've hit the infamous "wall," but I must've been delusional. Now I know what it's really like to hit the wall. It was excruciating. The first 13 miles felt fine, but I really started to feel fatigued after that. My feet, my legs, my ankles, my calves, my hips, every part of my lower body was hurting. Knowing that I still had 7 miles to go was scary. I've never felt so much pain during a run. Ever. Probably at mile 17 or so I shed a few tears. Seriously. I just felt so defeated, and I wasn't even finished yet. Anyway, I finished. I did it. It may have beat me to the ground, but I did it. In a way, I'm glad it pushed me to my limit. Hell, it probably pushed me past my limit. But at least I'll know, if something like that happens during the marathon, I'll be prepared for it. My body can do it. It may hurt and I may be screaming inside to stop running, but I can do it. And now I'll know how to handle a totally defeating moment like that "mile 17 cry my eyes out" moment.

After my run I went home, opened the door, and my husband said, "How'd it go?" I didn't say anything. I just cried and he opened his arms to give me a hug. And then we talked about it. I told him it sucked, that I was scared for the marathon, and that it was hard. And then he gave me encouraging words and I felt better. I couldn't move my legs, but I felt better.

I can't believe it's 12 days away.

In other news, Christmas was fabulous, and I got loads of new running gear, so be looking for a post on that in the next couple of days. New shoes included!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new shoes!

    And congrats on your 20-miler. Even though you weren't able to run it when you'd intended to run it, you still cranked it out.

    I think the wall is a necessary part of training, as shitty as that sounds. When I think back to my 18-mile run and how I felt the last two miles, and how I felt that there was no way I was going to make it, that's my wall. That's the moment where I had the similar defeated feelings as you did. So now when I get to that point in the marathon, I'll have something to fall back on.

    20 miles!!! How awesome is that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 miles is AWESOME! Huge feat! Congrats! You'll totally rock that marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl I'm sorry it was such a tough run for you!!! I honestly wonder if running later in the day didn't play into that. My first 18 miler was at night and I really died at the end. Come to think of it, I really died at the end of my 20 miler too but that was more from the sun then anything else. Just chalk it up to a learning lesson and move on. You still RAN 20 MILES and that is all that is important! You did it and you are ready for Disney! I will see you there!!! We must swap digits before the race and let me know your expected pace & what you're wearing so I can look out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for your marathon. I hope you have lots of pictures and will blog about every mile.
    You are going to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhh yes....hence the purpose of the long training run :) It's all mental once you get up around 20. Just remember when you're out there...
    1) you can do anything once
    2) it WILL end...eventually

    Enjoy that taper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Christy!! You did it! And I know that you will rock your marathon! I am so proud of you. Just remember-- No one is going to finish that damn thing but you.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you know that if you can push through that 20 miler, you can definitely do the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come on Christy -- this is just a speedbump. Trust the training you have done and know that you will be fine. Your confidence will carry you through the entire 26.2 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 18 miler was the worst, really though those super long runs are all about just covering the miles...and you did it!
    I know you know this--running is SO mental. Having a really tough super long run is a really good mental prep for the race.
    Hang in there and so enjoy the taper. By the time race day arrives you are going to be chomping at the bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NICE! Enjoy the taper and the extra time that you have off. Even though I say "enjoy the taper" note that you will go a little nutty with all of the extra time.

    Those 20 milers are a BEAR to get in. Nice work knocking it out even in spite of some timing challenges!! I've been known to crank out some runs while on the road finishing after midnight too!

    ReplyDelete