Sunday, March 28, 2010

The future holds...

I have a goal to run 1,000+ miles in 2010. So far I'm not really on track. Between injuries and vacation, I haven't really been keeping up with my end of the running bargain. But starting tomorrow my plan (and training) is getting kicked into gear.

Now that I've completed my first marathon, and successfully PR'd my 15K two weeks ago, what's next for this runner girl, you may ask?

My biggest race plans are scheduled for the end of 2010, but I do have a couple of races scheduled in my immediate future. First, I'll be running the Run for the Trees Jeanette Genius McKean Memorial 5k on April 24th in Orlando with none other than, you guessed it, Morgan. At this point, would you expect anything less of me? I freaking love this girl. We enjoyed each other's company so much before and during the Gate River Run 15K, that we've decided to reunite for another race. I'm not really sure what my goals are for this race yet. I don't think my body is capable of a PR, but I'd really like to try for a PR. Plus, this race is supposed to be pretty scenic, so maybe I should just take it easy? Dunno. As of today, this is the only 5K I have scheduled for 2010. What do y'all think? My PR is 26:21...can I do it? Or should I "enjoy the race?"

I have no races planned in May for a couple of reasons. First, May is when Hades decides to unleash all fury and vengeance on Florida. It's hot. And humid. And from what I learned last summer, I despise running races in Florida between the months of April and September. Kill. Me. Now. Secondly, I'll be in the midst of training hard for a race I have planned in June. You knew this was coming....wait for it....wait for it...

The Ragnar Relay Wasatch Back!!!!!!!!!! This will be my third year running this race, and as always I'm so stoked to be a part of it again. A little background info - the Wasatch Back takes a team of 12 runners from on a 190 mile relay race from Logan, Utah to Park City, Utah. It summits 3 mountain passes, winds through some of the most beautiful places in the West (imo), and I. Freaking. Love It. My favorite part of this race is that I've never run the same portion of the course. My first year I was Runner 4, last year I was Runner 6, this year I'm RUNNER 1!!! My 3 legs will total a distance of 21 miles. Take a look (click to enlarge):
Leg #1: 7.9 miles, net elevation change 123 feet

Leg #2: 8.3 miles, net elevation change -1,523 feet

Leg #3: 4.8 miles, net elevation change 54 feet

The leg I'm most worried about is Leg #2. Sure, some of you may look at that and think, "It's all downhill. What's worrisome about that?" Folks, I've seen people run this leg and it is BRUTAL. It's usually done at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, no tree cover, no shade, temps between 85 and 90 degrees, and it's all hot black asphalt. And although I love downhill, I'll have to be really careful not push it too hard and fry my quads. I'm sure I'll be fine, though.

So those are my two immediate races. I'm excited for them both. For now, this is what my training looks like for this week:

Monday: yoga and cross train
Tuesday: 5 mile run
Wednesday: 7 mile run
Thursday: 4 miles or cross train
Friday: strength and stretch
Saturday: 10 mile run
Sunday: Rest

Goals for the week: STUDY HARD!!

Remember to hold me accountable for this week of training!!

8 comments:

  1. I love hearing how excited you are! Scenic races are great. I run slowly enough that I can race and look around no problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on the downhill! I always do this relay race in Vermont and I avoid the steep downhill leg like it's my job. It is SO NOT EASY. But, I know you'll totally rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That relay race is so intense! You are awesome for signing up year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously drooling over your Wasatch Relay!!! You're going to do great, you have experience and knowledge of the course to get your through just fine! Remember to douse cold water on your neckline and maybe throw some ice in your sports bra! LOL!

    Super excited for our 5k!! :) Whether you decide to race it or just run for fun I'll be there to cheer you all the way! P.S. The course is flat and you'll have a solid base... just saying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing the Wasatch Back Relay too! It will be my first time doing it and I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My vote is always to go for the PR in a 5K. It is such a short race to not go all out. What do you have to lose!? :)

    Doing a relay would be so fun! Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Ragnar! I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the RAGNAR...very nice. And yeah...it does get hot as hades there in FL that time of year. Good luck getting back on track..

    ReplyDelete