Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Finding my motivation

I've figured out why I have been lacking in the motivation department.

I'm sick of the treadmill. I realized this after my 4-miler last night on said treadmill.

You may remember me a while back boasting about how I liked to run on the treadmill. Which, back then, and for most of my running existence, has been the case. Maybe those days are ending. Which is okay, it just makes me all the more eager to buy myself a Garmin.

So, tonight I went for a run outside, which is an accomplishment in itself because even at 9:00 p.m., it's still a balmy 80 degrees with 94% humidity (geeeeeez, I miss Utah summers). Other than the heat, the run went well. I did 5.5 miles in about 53 minutes, so not too shabby if I say so myself. And it reinvigorated my love for running outside. And it gave me motivation to run more tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.

And just in case running outside isn't enough motivation, I've signed myself up for a 5K this Saturday, just so that I won't slack and I'll get out there and run, so as not to make a fool of myself come race day. The husband is also running it with me, but even with his one day of training, he'll still knock it out of the park and beat me by at least 10 minutes. Oh, to be naturally gifted at running.......

So, thanks y'all for the encouragement. Hopefully, this girl's back in business.

4 comments:

  1. I love running outside. If nothing else, it makes it much harder to wuss out and stop when you're so far from home. :o) Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you could run in heat like that. Tyson and I have started running together in the evenings (just a 3 mile loop around Daybreak Lake) and I love it. Tyson is a naturally gifted runner and it motivates me to keep up with him. I'm hoping that he can help me get a faster pace.
    And I'm with you on the Garmin. I want one SO bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm completely with you on running outside - it's worth braving the heat!

    Maybe you can set up a reward system for the Garmin. Anything so you can get one faster, they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me I think its more about the less pounding on my body that makes me run on the treadmill. And I don't like running in the cold or extreme heat. A race is the only thing that makes me want to run outside IF the weather isn't perfect. I guess I'm a whimp when it comes to that.

    And I like watching TV while I run/monitoring my pace since I don't have a garmin yet either.

    ReplyDelete